Saturday, June 28, 2008

Letter on PEP Budget Vote

I just read your thoughtful and incisive letter regarding the PEP Budget Vote, and I wanted to congratulate and thank you and Patrick Sullivan for having the conviction to vote against the proposed budget. I agree with much of your letter, and hope that there is some way that this budget can be overturned before September.
 
I am personally most concerned right now with the decreases to after school programs (the Beacon Center at my son's school, PS15 in Red Hook, may not be able to continue its after school program next fall due to cuts; they're run by Good Shepherd Services, and not only is the afterschool program free and an invaluable and irreplaceable service to the community where most parents work full time jobs, it's also a source of jobs for local youth, who are especially dedicated to helping younger members of their community) AND the increase of funding for charter schools - for all the many, many reasons why I oppose charter schools, please take a look at my blog (which the DOE actually had the nerve to tell me to stop posting material to about a month ago!) Read my blog, Charter Free PS15 at http://charter-free-ps15.blogspot.com/
 
What can concerned parents do to make sure the budget for our children is fair and makes sense?
 
Thanks again,
 
Emily Brown
--
"Never underestimate the power of a small, dedicated group of people to change the world; indeed, that is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

No comments: