Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fwd: Charter School Placement in a public

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ombud 7 <>
Date: Jun 10, 2008 3:22 PM
Subject: Charter School Placement in a public

Dear Ms. Brown

I'm contacting you on be half of the office of public advocate. I reviewed your case and found that inevitably it is up to the chancellor and department of education to decide the finally results. However, in order to sway the decision it will take not just one, but many parents. If the entire schools parents participate then there will be a greater power, than only a few parents

Please if you have any questions contact me at 212-669-4678 or Ms. Robertson at 212-669-4573


Sam Kleinman

I spoke to Mr. Kleinman this afternoon for several minutes; the message seems bleak, because the Public Advocate's office can only make calls to the DOE and Spencer Robertson requesting that they reconsider the placement of the PAVE Academy. They can't, for instance, go after the Chancellor or the Mayor about this. But what Mr. Kleinman recommended was that we put our position in writing and submit it to the Chancellor, and that the Chancellor is supposed to respond to this. However, I've been trying to get a response from the Chancellor's office for weeks, with no luck. And my understanding is that several PS15 parents put together a petition and got signatures, and sent it on to the Chancellor's office quite a while ago. I need to follow up on this because if the petition was actually submitted, but got no response, then perhaps we need to resubmit it, and then follow up on that. Mr. Kleinman advised that chances are slim or nil of getting a lawyer to handle this for very little money or on a pro-bono basis.

"Never underestimate the power of a small, dedicated group of people to change the world; indeed, that is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Read my blog, Charter Free PS15 at

No comments: