Thursday, March 6, 2008

MEETING TO DISCUSS PLANS FOR PAVE ACADEMY

I noticed a sign in Spanish posted in the 77 bus stop shelter this evening that read

PAVE Academy Charter School
Reunion para informacion
Hora: 6:30 - 7:30
pm
Fecha: Tues., March 11th
Lugar: Red Hook - 7 Wolcott
Street
Telefono: (212)437-8332


As soon as I saw the sign, I took one of the tear-off tags hanging from it and checked my son's knapsack to see if there was a similar announcement from the school inside. There wasn't. There are several things about this sign that are interesting to me; first, obviously, that there wasn't a similar notice from P.S. 15, which makes me wonder whether the organizers of the meeting had bothered to tell the school yet. Second, why is the sign only in Spanish, at least at the particular bus stop where I found it? It's obvious even to a non-Spanish speaker like me what the sign means, but still. Also, the sign was printed up on totally plain paper - no letterhead, not even a logo or any other distinguishing marking.

When I got home, I called the phone number listed on the sign, and got a recording telling me that it was the PAVE Academy's phone number and that I could leave a message for Spencer Robertson and Timothy Burke, and that I could also reach Spencer Robertson after hours at 347-218-2684. By the way, this is the first time I've been able to get any contact information for either the PAVE Academy or Mr. Robertson - and I've checked all over the internet already. The level of secrecy up to this point puzzles me - I don't know why someone starting a new school would make it difficult for others to find ways to reach them. I'll be calling back in the morning because I want to know what their plans are now that the original plan to locate the school at PS15 is on hold.

7 Wolcott Street happens to be the address for the local Brooklyn Public Library.

I'll update the blog when I find out more... maybe I'm making too much of a mystery out of a little piece of paper hung in a bus stop, but a few things just seem a little off.

No comments: